Creative and energized folks from eight Suffolk and Metro churches gathered at Wantagh Memorial Congregational Church on Saturday, January 23, 2010 to use Casting Your Nets (CYN) tools to focus their congregation’s assets on bringing The Good News to their neighbors.
Somewhat to their surprise, those who had been involved in CYN “for years” were as energized as those experiencing CYN for the first time.
The goal is to identify Target Audiences for your church, then develop specific Action Plans to organize your five areas of ministry in a coordinated program to serve the Target Audience. The ministry areas are Invitation, Fellowship, Generosity, Mission and Worship.
How do you do that? Here were some clues offered on January 23.
- Start by providing opportunities for persons in your congregation to get acquainted – and tell what they value about your church.
- Then create a Church Timeline – identifying important events in your church and the world around us.
- Create a geographic map of the area(s) your church serves. How can you connect with and serve your neighbors? (Who might be our Target Audience?)
- Survey the talents in your congregation.
- How might these talents be used to meet the needs of the Target Audience?
For example, if your Target Audience is Youth…How might you invite them? What fellowship opportunities might you provide? How can you encourage their generous support of your programs? What mission opportunities would engage them? What worship experiences might enrich them?
Southeastern Regional CYN Consultant Bonnie Miller led the January 23 workshop, and she is available to help you identify and reach your Target Audiences. Contact her by e-mail at Bonni333@aol.com or by phone at 914-997-7322.
Return to top of page