Spring Meeting of the Metropolitan Association
Theme: “Be the Church”
Saturday, April 16, 2016
Mt. Vernon Heights Congregational Church
258 South Columbus Avenue
Mt. Vernon, NY 10553
After a rousing worship service, host pastor Rev. Troy DeCohen said, “you thought you were coming to a meeting, but you came to a worship service instead.” However, “the meeting” followed and was also a rousing event.
Throughout the worship service, Mt. Vernon Heights Minister of Music, Minister Elston Henry led instrumental and vocal music for the congregation and choirs.
Our worship preacher was Rev. Dr. Marsha Williams, Associate Conference Minister for our NY Conference, UCC. Rev. Williams repeatedly asked, “Has the Church Suffered a Stroke?” Referring to I Corinthians 12:12-27 she reminded us “the body does not consist of one member but of many” and “if one member suffers, all suffer together with it; if one member is honored, all rejoice together with it.” If the church has suffered a stroke, it behaves as a human behaves – vital functions are diminished. But like a human, the church can recover, but it takes hard work, regular treatment.
Rev. Williams emphasized that each of us has a role to play, whether visible or hardly noticeable. An avid and excellent bowler, she reported that when she injured her toe, it threw off her whole game. Similarly, what may appear to be our small role in the church can significantly impact the whole church if we don’t fill that role effectively. We can’t just stop working, any more than the liver can just up and decide, “I quit.”
Our morning offering will help support the Metro Association Scholarship Fund.
(Here are details and pictures from this inspiring service.)
During our business meeting we:
- Voted license renewal for four Members in Discernment.
- Learned about the May 15 – June 1 Rural Migrant Ministry March to Albany (for more information about Rural Migrant Ministry visit http://ruralmigrantministry.org/).
- Heard an optimistic report from the Finance Committee Team, including announcement that we can now make donations to Metro online.
- Elected new officers and committee members including Moderator Mr. Harold Chapman, Jr. and Vice Moderator Rev. Court Buchanan.
- Installed those newly elected persons.
- Thanked and provided certificates for those churches who supported Our Church’s Wider Mission and all five UCC offerings in 2015.
- Were inspired by successful ministries of The Church of the Living Hope, Christ Church, and Bronx Spanish Evangelical Church.
- Learned of upcoming events which will soon appear on the web calendar.
- Heard about activities bubbling up in the national setting and were invited to attend the UCC General Synod June 30-July 4, 2017 in Baltimore.
(Here are details and pictures of the business meeting.)
It wouldn’t be a Metro meeting without food and fellowship, enjoyed both before worship and after the business meeting.
Linked below are the reports presented to the Annual Meeting.
Reports Presented to the Annual Meeting
President of the Board of Directors and Board Covenant
Ordination and Ministerial Standing Committee
Congregational Development Committee
Committee on Mission Priorities and Stewardship
Budget and Actual Income and Expenses
Return to top of page